A couple of years ago I bought this fabric because I really liked it:
Since it was pre-printed fat quarters (FQs), I planned to use it in a pattern designed for FQs. I added a couple of fabrics that I thought went well with it. Until I saw it sewn together:
I didn’t like the quilt top once I got it made, so I took out every single seam and set the pieces aside to think about.
I took out the fabrics I had added, thinking perhaps they were the problem. That helped a little. However, I decided the dots needed some solid mixed with them. I took them on a shopping trip with friends and we selected a nice red-orange to mix with them. Then I re-made the quilt including some of the red-orange.
I still didn’t like it. And call me lazy if you like, but I was not going to take those pieces apart again! So, with a what-the-heck attitude, I cut the new top up into circles (big dots!) using my dinner and salad plates as templates.
I pinned various potential backgrounds on the design wall and tried them out.
I think some variation of this is going to be the final design. Maybe not the greatest ever, but nobody died, so I’m moving on!