When I looked at my (er, large!) collection of orphan blocks, I found not only single blocks, but groups of blocks all from the same quilt, and several strips of blocks that looked like they had been almost included in a quilt. The first such strip I came to was from an improvised batik quilt made with Bold Over Batiks and assorted others. It was almost 24 inches long and 4 inches wide.
I cut the strip into a length of 12 inches and one of a few inches less, then added fabric to the shorter one so both were 12 inches. I then joined them lengthwise with a black strip down the center:
I made a backing by piecing together scraps from my current quilt, which happens to be batiks also. I just put them together semi-randomly. (You can see the current quilt at the end of this post.)
I quilted the whole thing in the ditch and bound it in black. I think I like the back almost as well as the front!
Of course, if you have individual orphan blocks instead of a strip, you can make a table runner by joining them, either with or without sashing. I find that sashing is a good idea because it allows for the use of blocks of different sizes just by varying the size of the sashing. (I made the mistake once of putting together a “group quilt” and it DEFINITELY required sashing individualized to each block, since apparently everybody in the group had a different idea of the size of a 9″ block.) Sashing can save your bacon (or table runner) in a case like that. So here’s a quilt design with blocks of 4 different sizes. The blocks at the ends had extra sashing added.
Finally, here’s a peek at the current quilt-in-progress. It’s made from the FQs that jumped on me at Quiltfest in July and were shown at the end of an earlier post here. The quilt is up on my sticky wall with a label on each piece so I don’t get confused as I sew it together! Scraps from this were on top of the scrap pile, so I used them for the back of the table runner shown above.
Hope everyone has a good week!