Here’s a picture of the blocks made to date for my modern sampler. Links to the posts about each one are at the bottom of this post. Some are designed by me, some not.
It’s time to look at all the blocks together and think about what this quilt needs next.
- So far I’ve made 7 blocks; it needs 7 or 8 more.
- The blocks will fit together in multiples of 3″, with some solid strips to fill in spaces. The blocks are generally “busy”, so I think those solid strips will be important.
- There are a variety of colors and a lot of white and bright. I like the bright, but I want some more black backgrounds.
- All of the blocks except one have some text fabric. I need to either save the one block with no text for another purpose or make 2 more without text. I can use some text fabric as background strips.
- That orange and turquoise block with all the random trapezoids doesn’t fit with the others, so I either need to make more like it or modify it in some way. I may cut it up and re-make it altogether. Suggestions?
Meanwhile, here’s one new block to add to the sampler.
And here are the steps for making it. I just sewed together my scraps and then framed them with triangles.
These strips varied in width, and some were uneven widths.
I joined the strips of little blocks (which varied in width from 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches) and then added black triangles. The center “square” is NOT square–it is improvised without much measuring!
There, now I have another one with a black background! Here are the links to the other quilt blocks in my sampler: