This little quilt was made for a woman who has volunteered at our clinic for years, providing physical therapy services to many of our patients who have hard physical jobs. She has accepted a position at another university and will be leaving us next month.
It started out years ago as a single block. I’m sorry to say I have no idea where the pattern came from. After making one block I decided it was entirely too tedious to make a series of them for a quilt, so it went in the orphan block pile. When I was asked for a quilt block to give to Jill, this one immediately came to mind.
I added a border and was lucky enough to have EXACTLY enough fabric left from one of the prints to make the binding. I used a grid-print backing so it will be easy for people to sign on the back. The quilting in a spiral did slightly distort the overall quilt into a shallow bowl shape, but that steamed right out before I put on the binding.
Name: for Jill
Size: 15” x 15”
Materials: Quilting cottons
Quilter’s Dream Request Loft cotton batting
Superior So Fine thread used for piecing and quilting
Quilted by: me
Block designer unknown–please contact me if you know so I can give credit
My modern guild is having a challenge to produce quilts for display when the traditional guild has its next show in the fall. The guidelines are: no more than 36″ on any side, and using some Riley Blake solids whose colors were extracted from a landscape photo chosen by the guild. The quilts aren’t due for several months yet, but I had a brainstorm and produced mine already. Here we go:
The quilt is faced rather than bound
And here is a detail. In case you haven’t caught on, this is the one that was stained by basting spray. However, that came out just fine with dry cleaning.