I made my own clothes for years before I started quilting, as did many women my age. Once I had a steady income and a family, it became much more efficient to buy clothing than to make it, but I still get the itch to make something to wear from time to time.
I recently found this interesting fabric on a sale table and the bug bit.
I have had this pattern for years but haven’t made anything from it, so I decided it was time.
And here’s the shirt.
It fits fine and is comfortable. This is an easy pattern, so it took only 4 hours to make. If my time is worth even as much as federal minimum wage, I would have been ahead to buy something ready made.
That probably won’t keep me from making clothing, though.
This pile of blocks barely made a dent in the pile of shirts!
And here is some of the quilt up on the design wall:
The holes are because I unaccountably made too few double 4-patch blocks. Luckily, that was one of the easier blocks in this quilt, so it the error won’t be difficult to fix!
As you can see, both the red and the orange made good accents. The interesting thing to me about this quilt is that those little accent blocks save the day. There is WAY too much variety in the quilt for it to be a good design without those diagonal orange and red lines created by the tiny blocks. They pull the whole thing together by giving it structure.
I’ll update you when I get the holes plugged 😀