I guess every quilt has a story, but sometimes I think “Hoo-boy, this one really has a story!”
The finish here started with a shibori dying class with Debbie Maddy in 2018.
I decided to use the fat quarters (FQs) I’d dyed in the class to make a quilt using Debbie’s Usagi pattern.
The blocks were easy to make and I enjoyed the process. Then I decided to quilt it myself! I usually do pretty well quilting on my domestic machine, but my walking foot decided it didn’t want to participate. The resulting quilt was quite a mess. No, I did not take pictures!
I took out a lot of the quilting, using both a regular seam ripper and a tool that looks like a miniature electric razor. Both worked pretty well, and I managed not to make holes in the fabric!
Finally I got up the nerve to try again. I did small meandering in the blocks to make the rabbits stand out, some stitch-in-the-ditch around the blocks, and some wavy quilting in the border. Done!
Pattern: Usagi by Debbie Maddy
Fabric: Most shibori-dyed in class with Debbie Maddy; border is a commercial batik
Size: 44″ x 44″
Quilted by: me (twice–a learning experience!)
I recently took a one-day class in Shibori dying with natural indigo, taught by Debbie Maddy. This was part of QuiltFest, put on in Jonesborough, TN, by Tennessee Quilts. It was a good time as usual, and I’ll post more about QuiltFest later.
Debbie Maddy–her Shibori dying class was excellent!
Debbie brought many beautiful examples of Shibori dying with her.
In addition to the class, she gave a lecture about her adventures with Shibori. To hear her tell it, she became interested in Shibori and immediately signed herself and her husband up for a 10 day Shibori class in Japan! I can’t even imagine!
She gave us an introduction to how indigo is used for dying in various places around the world, then showed us how to mix the dye vats and prepare the cloth.
As always, the most fun was seeing everyone’s fabrics drying on the line!
Here are a few more examples made by students. I’m sorry to say I didn’t get their names.
When we got home, we had to neutralize the dye in a vinegar bath and then remove excess dye with pH neutral detergent in hot water.
And here are my finished pieces:
More about Quiltfest in future! Stay tuned 🙂