A friend started this quilt about 15 years ago and did a beautiful job, but quilting didn’t “take” with her, so she had this unfinished quilt but not the expected huge piles of fabric, tools, threads, patterns…well, you know.
She had already hand quilted a fair amount of it, including quilting around the central motifs and quilting a design in some of the bars. She just had no enthusiasm for finishing it, so I volunteered. (Full disclosure: I just took Susan K Cleveland’s Craftsy course on machine quilting without free motion, so I used this as a practice piece!)
As always, I learned a lot doing this. First, it was basted using those plastic tacks that were the latest in quilt basting at the time. They didn’t hold the layers together as securely as the basting spray I now use, so there were some “challenges” in avoiding puckers as I quilted. Second, the batting was the fluffy polyester most of us were using at the time, and it isn’t nearly as stable as the Quilters Dream and Warm Company battings available today. It worked out just fine, but the whole thing moved under the machine needle more than I’m used to.
It was fun to see the changes in the technology of quilting since this quilt was made. And it gave me permission to finally get rid of my plastic tack device. More room for the other tools!