My husband recently discarded some shirts, so I was interested to see this “Kitchen Shirt Tales” pattern from Indygo Junction.
It looked pretty simple, and I’ve made dozens of aprons over the years, but I decided it was worth the money to buy the pattern rather than having to figure it out on my own. The pattern was downloadable, which added to the appeal–instant gratification!
I was pleased with the way the apron came out, but only because I abandoned the instructions part way through construction.
The instructions were MUCH too complex for a simple garment like this. For example, rather than providing a pattern for the garment in different sizes (if, indeed, one needs a choice of sizes for an apron), the instructions were to measure yourself and then derive the cutting lines through a rather complex formula. After figuring out these measurements, you were instructed to draw the curve for cutting out the top by connecting the measurements.. I did get it drawn just fine, but it would have been so much simpler to just have a pattern piece for cutting out the main body of the apron!
As you can see below, the apron looked just fine on two of my colleagues who are different sizes.
At this point, the instructions became confusing and there were VERY few illustrations. I usually do pretty well with verbal instructions, but the most commercial patterns have a drawing for each step for a reason.
This pattern would need many, many more drawings to be clear. I quit the instructions at that point and made the rest up as I went along.
I still think it is a great idea to recycle a shirt into an apron, and this is cute the way it came out. The pattern, however, could be greatly improved by the addition of a pattern piece for cutting and many additional illustrations.